I don’t know about you but I’m not a fan of snakes — especially poisonous ones. An interesting fact about the python is that it’s not poisonous, but it is deadly. How do you ask?
The python slowly squeezes the life out of their victim.
Whether you know it or not, this is one way the enemy likes to spiritually attack us. The spirit of python is actually referenced in Acts 16:16-17.
‘It happened that as we were going to the place of prayer, a slave-girl having a spirit of divination met us, who was bringing her masters much profit by fortune-telling. Following after Paul and us, she kept crying out, saying, “These men are bond-servants of the Most High God, who are proclaiming to you the way of salvation.”’
The word translated “divination” is the Greek word “python”. The slave-girl was under the influence of a python spirit. It’s worth noting that this is the only instance of a demonic spirit being mentioned by name in the book of Acts.
Ephesians 6:12 says, “For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the powers, against the world forces of this darkness, against the spiritual forces of wickedness in the heavenly places.”
So how can you tell if a python spirit is attacking you?
- Exhaustion — You have an abnormal loss of energy. It feels like life is being squeezed out of you and you have a desire to sleep much more than usual.
- Heaviness — You physically feel like a weight is resting on you. Similar to the experience you have when wearing a lead vest during an X-ray.
- Fear — You have irrational thoughts that provoke fear, worry, and anxiety. It usually revolves around the idea of tragedy, death, loss or failure.
- Torment — You have interrupted sleep, unrest or nightmares. When you try to pray, read the Bible or worship you are easily distracted.
- Sin — You begin falling into sin that you had previously had victory over. The strength you once had to overcome seems depleted.
Why is this happening to you?
Typically it’s because you are doing a good job. You are walking towards the destiny God has for you and pursuing righteousness.
Just look at Paul in Acts 16 on his second missionary journey. He has been traveling from town to town preaching the Gospel and is now on the way to a place of prayer he is when harassed by a woman inflicted with the spirit of python.
The attack only comes after you begin taking ground.
In my next post I’ll address some practical direction in overcoming this attack but for more insight on this discussion you can check out this blog I wrote last year.
Join the discussion One Comment